Decorating & Furniture/1970's Classy Living Room

Question
I just purchased a ranch style house built in 1976. It has dark brown, almost
black carpets and some dark wood paneling typical of the era in the dining room and kitchen. It is a perfect "grandma" house, and I want to keep it in the era it was meant to be.  I want to decorate the living room in 1970's style--but not the trashy faux fur and psychadelic wallpaper. I also don't want the green and tacky gold of my mother's 1970's
style. I am at a loss to start. I have a rust, camel, and brown sofa with a camel chair.

Answer
You can respect the style and keep it, while brightening things up a bit.  I'd suggest that you start by replacing the carpets.  To maintain 70's style, purchase a plush carpet in a neutral color.  Something between a camel and a brown would be a great base to start.  

In the dining room and perhaps even the kitchen, paint the paneling.  Again, stay neutral in your color selection.  Avoid stark whites, and add "color" with the paint selection.  You may want to consider a medium hue of "gold" - not the tacky gold, but a paler version.  Both kitchen and dining can be painted the same color OR you may want to brighten up the kitchen by adding a stronger color.  If your cabinets are dark - they can be lightly sanded and distressed rather than painted, thus "updating" but maintaining the character.

Hope this helps you.

Jenny

PS:  If you opt to paint paneled walls, lightly sand first, wipe with a soft cloth and then apply a coat of non-pourous primer like Kilz.  Allow that to dry overnight (important step) and then paint your top color coat.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik