Decorating & Furniture/2 questions about office

Question
I have 2 questions:
1. I have a small room for my office - approx. 9x9 is it better to use light wall colors in a small room eventhough I love the dark rich colors for an office?

2. I have a very small window in this room39" by 41"- any suggestios for window treatments?  Any resources that show ideas for this small window?

Thank you for your help.
Rena G.

Answer
Hi Rena,

You do not have to use light paint colors.  On the contrary, I would dress this small space as a jewel box, using one or two walls colors (paint two walls one color, two walls another complimentary color), add an area rug, and for the window I'd probably opt for tailored blinds or a tailored roman shade.  Stay light in color with the blinds/shades to reflect more light inward.  Hang a mirror opposite the window to reflect more light.

Dark colors do not necessarily shrink the space visually.  With rich color on the walls and ceilings you create something visually interesting and that draws the focus away from size.

Lastly, don't surround your room with small things.  One or two large objects (mirror/wallhangings etc.) will make the room appear larger whereas lots of small things tend to make the room feel even smaller.  

Jenny

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik