Decorating & Furniture/Choosing Sofa to Coordinate w/Oriental Rug

We recently purchased a gorgeous oriental rug for our 1926 Craftsman home's front parlor that has the colors of purple, olive green and gold. The walls are a deep purple, except one accent wall that is a lighter, smoked lavender and could be easily changed. We have the original hardwood floors that we've restored and stained a deep cherry that matches the wood framing the triple window and doorway (the baseboards will be replaced with stained wood). I have gold swag and cascade curtains framing the window. Now it's time to purchase furniture for the room (the sofa that is there is ony temporary until my husband can take upstairs to the office). My question is: Should I buy a couch in a solid color? My husband thinks a pattern would detract from the rug or be too busy for the room. I found a sofa that has the lines I like but not the color wood or upholstery. I also have a very old (55 yrs) wing back chair that I'd like to reupholster once I decide on a sofa. What do you think? Can I use a pattern on top of the rug?  This is the couch:  

Hi Lauren

I agree with your husband on this one.

I think the rug is lovely but with such a patterned rug in the room, a plain fabric sofa will be the best option for you.

I also think that a pale or neutral toned sofa would be best as you already have such a strong color on the walls.

The sofa you like looks very nice and actually I also like the color shown in the link you sent as it could well pick out the gold from the rug - it is hard to tell for sure without seeing them for real as it is difficult on a computer screen.

Kind regards,

Decorating & Furniture

Andrea Elliston

I am happy to answer questions regarding decorating, use of colour, soft furnishings ideas etc. I love quick and easy ideas that help people like me - short of time, money and sewing skills! I own and run the website Decorating Vacation Property for Profit

I have been involved in the decoration and preparation of a number of vacation rental properties where making a property look a million dollars whilst only spending a few pounds is very important.

I have had a number of articles printed and have been prolific on various vacation home owner forums. A lot of my ideas are featured on my website Decorating Vacation Property for Profit

My whole career has been in the travel industry working everywhere from UK travel agencies and London Heathrow Airport to a 5 star European resort - La Manga Club. I have extensive experience with vacation rental property and own and run the website Decorating Vacation Property for Profit