Decorating & Furniture/Decorating with a white room

I have a Living room/ dining room combo...that i can not paint...they have white walls...i know im going to separate the dining room from the living room using a sofa with a sofa back behind the sofa as well....but not sure about how to use colors with white walls...i need color!

Hi Mike

Are you allowed to hang pictures on the walls?  Big abstract art posters:

can actually add a more dramatic splash of color than painting a whole wall.

Aside from that, soft furnishings are your best option and colorful cushions or pillows on the sofa, a bright table cloth and area rugs can all add impact.  

I would just suggest you be a little careful though and pick one color you like and go with shades of that rather than having lots of unconnected colors all over the place.

Curtains or drapes will also, of course, make a big difference.

Kind regards

PS  One other thought - large silk flowers or plants take no looking after, fill a corner, 'soften' the look of a room and add color too.

Decorating & Furniture

Andrea Elliston

I am happy to answer questions regarding decorating, use of colour, soft furnishings ideas etc. I love quick and easy ideas that help people like me - short of time, money and sewing skills! I own and run the website Decorating Vacation Property for Profit

I have been involved in the decoration and preparation of a number of vacation rental properties where making a property look a million dollars whilst only spending a few pounds is very important.

I have had a number of articles printed and have been prolific on various vacation home owner forums. A lot of my ideas are featured on my website Decorating Vacation Property for Profit

My whole career has been in the travel industry working everywhere from UK travel agencies and London Heathrow Airport to a 5 star European resort - La Manga Club. I have extensive experience with vacation rental property and own and run the website Decorating Vacation Property for Profit