Decorating & Furniture/adding tile near existing tile

Question
We would like to put tile in our family room but it will butt up against tile in the entry and breakfast room.  How is the best way to deal with this?  My husband would like large tile and was told that we would have to put it at an angle.  He also wants a different color.  Would this work?  Thank you so much.

Answer
Hi Cindy

I think that when you are having two tiled areas butt up against each other you need to be sure that the colors are either exactly the same or completely different.  A near miss color-wise will look wrong.

I have seen tiles set at an angle (so you have a point at the bottom rather than a flat edge) and this can look really good - especially if you have a very plain tile and you are trying to make it look a bit more interesting.  Obviously if you are on a tight budget this is a good tip.

Kind regards

Andrea

Decorating & Furniture

Andrea Elliston