Decorating & Furniture/Accenting with white furniture

Question
I painted my office/living room a golden pineapple color.  The room has a very high sloped ceiling.  It has sand colored berber carpet.  The wood trim is a warm darker oak.  It has a ceiling fan of darker brown shaped like banana leaves.  The large window has warm oak wood blinds.  I'm going for a bright, sunny tropical feel.  I purchased a chair with a white background and a large florally print (from pottery barn - serafina print)that includes all the colors of the rest of the house (sage greens, yellows, deep oranges).  I'm wanting to accent with white.  I purchased a white desk and file cabinets. Question:  I need several large book cases in this room.  Would it be OK to go with white to match the desk or should I go with something that matches the woodwork and blinds?  Also, there is a fireplace in the room - should I go with a painted white surround or oak wood? Thank you so much.

Answer
Hi Debbie,
I think that white for the bookcases and fireplace surround would give it a really clean and open look and feel. I might add more wood accents in other decorative accessories to tie it all together. Hope this helps and good luck.

Rachel Mallon, ASID
Interior Designer
http://www.roominabook.com  

Decorating & Furniture

Rachel Mallon Allied Member ASID