Decorating & Furniture/Color Schemes

I have two questions about our small townhouse.
1)  We have tan microsuede couch and loveseat set with cream walls.  We like more of a classic, basic look rather than crazy colors.  We have a wood floor (although we don't know what type of shape it is in because it is under carpet right now). We were thinking of pulling out all the carpet and getting a large area rug but would like to do it cheaply. What color carpet would you suggest?  Patterned or solid?

2) The townhouses just redid our kitchen...Oak honey spice cabinets with a grey/purple countertops.  They are planning on doing the tile floor in a color/pattern that is almost identical to counters.  Will this look silly having the counters and floor the same color?  If so, what color would we do instead?  Also, what color walls would look good with this?  I was thinking either light blue or light yellow.
Thank you so much for your help!

To answer your first question the color of your flooring may determine what color rug to get. Since you want to go neutral you may want to check out jute rugs. If the flooring is dark I would go with a lighter tone and if the flooring is light I would go with a darker rug to create a nice contrast.

I think it will look fine having the flooring and the countertop the same color. I would lean towards a soft muted beige for the walls. I attached an image showing how all the materials work together. Hope this helps and good luck.

Rachel Mallon, ASID
Interior Designer

Decorating & Furniture

Rachel Mallon Allied Member ASID

I will answer any questions concerning interior design and decorating. I can help with color, furniture placement, material choices, and much more. I am more than happy to help people. Please email me with questions and concerns. Decorating may not be as easy as it looks and with a little help from me you can improve your living space. Check out my decorating blog Room in a Book Blog
If you are looking to redo an entire room in your home and want professional design assistance please visit Room in a Book

Experience: I have a bachelors degree in Interior Design. I have worked for West Elm and Kitchen Kaboodle and I recently worked for an Interior Design firm in Portland, OR. I currently work as an Interior Designer in Maui, Hawaii. Room in a Book