Decorating & Furniture/Light vs. Dark Color Floor - Pos/Neg for Each?

Question
I've heard how light or dark colors of flooring "ground" a room/area or may make it seem larger, etc.  I am thinking of installing laminate or hardwood and I want to go light - a natural oak look, about 4"-5" wide planks - because of the different woods, woodwork, etc., I have in our home. I don't want to try to match our woodwork - I think that would be a mistake, especially if we decide to go laminate. We have honey oak woodwork.  Many people like darker floors but I feel the "lighter" wood look would go with what I have and would "open up" everything even more in an already open area.  I may be way off base here but could you share with me what the positives/negatives would be with a light floor vs. a darker floor?  This would be about 600 sq. ft of flooring in a not-so-used dining area and a very much used family room area - connected together.
Thanks so much,
Rose

Answer
Hi Rose,
The lighter toned wood will definitely open up the room where as the darker wood could tend to close the room in. However, the darker wood will make the room feel warmer - more cozy.
If you have lots of windows in the room, then the darker wood wouldn't be an issue.
The positive on the lighter wood is the dust isn't as easily seen as it is on the darker wood.  
I hope I've helped with the pros and cons of both wood tones.
Thanks for checking in.
Sandy

Decorating & Furniture

Sandy Knutson-Grebner