Decorating & Furniture/Paint colours....help

Question
We are moving to a new home soon....and want to have it painted. We are not sure what to paint the entrance, living room, dining room and kitchen. Our couches are a mushroomy colour with cranberry accented pillows and we have a cranberry coloured accent chair. Our entertainment unit and coffee table are a dark/espresso brown and our rug is a persian rug with various colours such as olive green, cranberry, and mushroom. We don't know what colur to paint the living room. We like neutral and warm colours. We want our dining room to have a little punch of colour...harmonious to our living room (note our dining room has one wall that leads to our kitchen..so the colour should also be the same for the kitchen), and of course an entrance that flows into our living room. Any suggestions??

If you know the paint chip name/brand to give me that would be great.
Thank you

cathy

Answer
Hi Cathy,
I think a good place to start is looking at decorating magazines to get the colors you like.  Without seeing the layout, it's hard for me to see where the natural breakpoints are on the walls so the colors flow nicely.
With the description of your current furniture and pillows, it sounds like you might like the color scheme in the Starbucks coffee cafes.
Warm greens, golds and burgandys.  You'll have to watch your kitchen color as you need to take into consideration your countertop color.
I would try to take a color out of that if it's a light countertop with some of the specs of color you have mentioned.
Again without knowing if you've gone with granite etc...it's a tough job to help pick 4 colors for you.
Hopefully I've sent you down a path for thinking through what it is you like.
Here are some color guides...but again I can't be sure these will work for you.
Thanks for writing.
Sandy
Colors:
Sherwin Williams SW2861 Avocado, SW2836 Quartersawn Oak, SW2858 Harvest Gold, SW0007 Decorous Amber

Decorating & Furniture

Sandy Knutson-Grebner