Decorating & Furniture/Room Functions Living Room and Guest Bedroom

Question
Big Living Room
Big Living Room  
Hello and thank you in advance!
We live in Florida and have two rooms for which I cannot decide how they should function to benefit our family. We are a family of 4 with the 4th being our 22 year old son who visits only occasionally. We also have our 13 year old daughter with special needs. She really enjoys tv and doing crafts.  This being said we have made the original two bedroom home that we purchased into a 3 bedroom by taking space and making a very small guest room with a closet. It measures 11 by 10. It backs up to our kitchen and has a closet on one wall and sliding patio doors on the other. The bathroom is around the corner. I currently have an uncomfortable sleep sofa in there and have no idea how to use the room to its best advantage. No one goes in there since there is no reason to be there. It is also our pathway to get the our daughters bedroom on the other side of the house. I have thought of a full size bed since we have one that needs to go somewhere but then I feel that I am wasting the room?
Question two is that adjoining this small guest room is a large formal living room or whatever I can change it to be. It measures 14 by 20 and has one wall of 9 foot wide windows and no other distinguishing features. It is right off the foyer by the front door. It has a computer center and a tv in it but because everyone gravitates to the big family room off the kitchen it sits empty all the time. I really, really need storage and a place for pretties and party ware but am at a loss since both of these rooms also have carpet as opposed to easy to maintain tile in the rest of the house.
I really am at my wits end and just want to enjoy our home and really get more use out of it.
I can send pictures if you need them. Thank You so very much Mary Mom to Julianna and Michael

Answer
Hi Mary,
I think a daybed in the 3rd bedroom might be a great answer. I can go up against a wall and still look very decorative.  I would stay away from the full size bed, especially if nobody really needs it on a daily basis.  You could then add a small desk for your daughters craft projects.  I think this would be a nice use of the space.

The other option is to use this small bedroom as a place for all of your storage.  You can go to IKEA or order from their catalog online for all your storage needs.  This room can be decorated very nicely with the storage pieces and double as the computer room too.

I would then focus on the large room as a great place to set up as a family game area.  You can place a game table in the room and some extra chairs.  This will allow the family to gravitate to this room too and have a more relaxed feeling in it.

Thanks for writing.
Sandy

Decorating & Furniture

Sandy Knutson-Grebner