Decorating & Furniture/knotty pine cabinets

Hello and thank you for taking my question.  We are having a cottage built.  The builder is putting in a knotty pine kitchen cabinetry with a varnish finish.  I am starting from scratch and need some ideas with counter top colors and wall colors as well as a nice flooring that will compliment the knotty pine.  The entire cottage will have vinyl flooring.  I need opinions and ideas.  My taste is simple country cottage.  Soft soothing warm feels.  Any opinions will be appreciated.  Thank you.

Hi Robin,
Since you have a neutral palette to work with you can go with almost any color. Some colors that I like in kitchens are sage green and medium blue and off white. With flooring you may want to create more contrast with the wood tones and go with a light color so it doesn't blend too much with the cabinetry. Here is an example of a kitchen that I designed . If you would like me to design a kitchen for you around your choice of cabinetry than please go to for more information. Hope this helps and good luck!

Rachel Mallon, ASID
Interior Designer

Decorating & Furniture

Rachel Mallon Allied Member ASID

I will answer any questions concerning interior design and decorating. I can help with color, furniture placement, material choices, and much more. I am more than happy to help people. Please email me with questions and concerns. Decorating may not be as easy as it looks and with a little help from me you can improve your living space. Check out my decorating blog Room in a Book Blog
If you are looking to redo an entire room in your home and want professional design assistance please visit Room in a Book

Experience: I have a bachelors degree in Interior Design. I have worked for West Elm and Kitchen Kaboodle and I recently worked for an Interior Design firm in Portland, OR. I currently work as an Interior Designer in Maui, Hawaii. Room in a Book