Decorating & Furniture/paint color to compliment match printed sofa material

I have a room that needs color and furniture arrangement.

The room is about 18' (North to South) X 24' East to West).  So the North and south walls are the longest walls. The North wall is blank with a door at the right side.  The South wall has a large window with about 5 feet of wall space on either side.  The West wall has a brick hearth with a small Jotul black propane (looks like a wood burning stove) sitting on it.  The hearth is a brick half round with brick back and brick mantel.  The bricks vary in color and are very "aged" looking. There is a small window to the left of the fireplace and a door to the right.  Wall space is limited to above the brick hearth.  The East wall has a large closet w/double bi-fold doors (yuck!) on the right side and a coat closet on the right side.  There is no wall space to speak of on the East side.
I have a sofa and matching chair that are patterned.  The background is a mix of mossy green and brown.  The leave/floral pattern atop this is lighter brown with yellow or gold tones.  The sofa and chiar both have arems and pillow backs.  I don't know what colors to put on the walls with this fabric. Please advise. How should I arrange furniture for this space?  I have an armoire that houses a TV and electronics.  I have two bookcases on either side of the TV and I have bookcase that runs the length of the window on the south wall.  The East and West walls don't allow for any furniture.  I was thinking about getting rid of the bookcases and putting some nice built in's on the largest north wall.  Primarily, I am interested in color for the walls, ceiling, floors and trim.  Furniture placement is secondar to this.  Needing some color in Maine, Laurie

From the information that you have provided I would suggest going with a beige tan color or a soft green color for the walls and for the furniture placement I would put the sofa against the North wall and then have your chair and possibly another chair directly across from the sofa. I would do the built ins against the south wall.

I would love to be able to assist you further. Can you please send images to Thank you and I hope this helps. Good Luck!

Rachel Mallon, ASID
Interior Designer

Decorating & Furniture

Rachel Mallon Allied Member ASID

I will answer any questions concerning interior design and decorating. I can help with color, furniture placement, material choices, and much more. I am more than happy to help people. Please email me with questions and concerns. Decorating may not be as easy as it looks and with a little help from me you can improve your living space. Check out my decorating blog Room in a Book Blog
If you are looking to redo an entire room in your home and want professional design assistance please visit Room in a Book

Experience: I have a bachelors degree in Interior Design. I have worked for West Elm and Kitchen Kaboodle and I recently worked for an Interior Design firm in Portland, OR. I currently work as an Interior Designer in Maui, Hawaii. Room in a Book