Decorating & Furniture/refinishing kitchen cabinets to match ugly counter

We would like to repaint our old very dark (almost like walnut) kitchen cabinets, to something lighter and fresh.  We cannot afford to replace our countertops. They are a dark brown and cream, marble effect looking, laminate.  We were thinking a two-tone effect as the doors have a larger border trim.  We could match one of the colors with the facing of the cabinets.  HELP!  ugly and dark!  P.S. The flooring in the kitchen is a lighter oak laminate.

Hi Robert,
I would try to stay away from a two-tone effect on the doors.  I would instead paint them a very warm lighter cream color.  This will help lighten up the room, and even make the countertops fade into the background.
I would then accessorize the kitchen with some brighter color artwork or iron work to give it an updated look.
Thanks, and good luck with your project.

Decorating & Furniture

Sandy Knutson-Grebner

I am able to answer questions regarding Interior Redesign - specializing in decorating with Flea Market finds, window treatments, paint color, and real estate staging. I am a certified redesigner and stager. Please visit I look forward to assisting you.

I have been in business 3 years as a certified redesigner, with a lifetime of experience.

Oswego Chamber of Commerce Aurora Chamber of Commerce The SDP IRIS

Certified Redesigner and Stager with The SDP Certified Redesigner with IRIS
,Interior Redesign Directory