Decorating & Furniture/Carpeting to go with furniture

We just bought some leather furniture.  The chairs are plain brown and the loveseat is brown leather with brown paisley cushions.  We'd like to get the look of an English Club room.  We like Oriental carpeting, but are unsure what to look for that won't clash with the paisley.  The paisley is mostly brown tones.  We have white walls and woodwork.  Also I am thinking of lightweight crushed velvet drapes, but aren't sure what color to choose

Hi Beverly,
         Rather than looking at whether something will go with paisley, look for patterns and colours you like and look at the scale of the patterns. If the cushions are a large paisley the other pattern(s)in the room should be medium and small scale, or vise versa. I would look for drapery colour in a dark plum. Crushed velvet is a luxurious looking fabric and dark colours will bring this out. Hope this helps :)

Decorating & Furniture

G. Norah Baker

My areas of expertise are color selection and accessories. But I have a general knowledge of all areas of interior decorating and would be able to answer questions in any area.

I have decorated over ten houses and apartments and have consulted on five outside projects. I have had an interest in decorating since my teens.

I graduated with highest honors (96%) from Thomson Education Direct in 2002