Decorating & Furniture/colors in an open floor plan

We are building a new house and I want to pick out the right colors.  I have picked out latte by Sherwin Williams for the great room and probably the dining area also.  I still want some color so in the kitchen I am debating over an orange-red color called fireweed by Sherwin Williams or to paint it a blue color.  My cabinets will be light hickory and the counter tops will be HD Wilsonart called Bella Noche.  My appliance are stainless steel.  Thanks

Hi Judith,
         From the colour selections you've mentioned, I would choose the fireweed over any blue you might be thinking of. Blue will make the room seem colder psychologically as well as physically if it's facing north. It will decrease appetite and not create the warm inviting feeling I think you might be after. A warm colour on the other hand will enhance the appetite, encourage creativity==a very good thing in cooking :) and encourage warm feelings of helpers, diners, as well as the cook. If you have a table in the kitchen it's a good idea to have green accents such as napkins and table mats to encourage good conversation at meals. Hope this helps :)

Decorating & Furniture

G. Norah Baker

My areas of expertise are color selection and accessories. But I have a general knowledge of all areas of interior decorating and would be able to answer questions in any area.

I have decorated over ten houses and apartments and have consulted on five outside projects. I have had an interest in decorating since my teens.

I graduated with highest honors (96%) from Thomson Education Direct in 2002