Decorating & Furniture/decorating a long hall

I have a long hall 30ft that is 3ft wide. now have a chair rail. It runs in a t to the front door.What do you do with such a long narrow space to make it interesting but not cluttered? The ceiling is reg height 8to9 ft.

Hi Kay,
       The problem with a hallway of any length is that it's usually not wide enough to support furniture pieces like cabinets, bookshelves, tables, or even a dining chair. I would suggest photos or artwork in matching frames eg. all black wood or all brass. You could also hang small shelves singly and put a vase of flowers or an ornament on it, or you might try a set of box shelves--three boxes in three different sizes, and put a small ornament inside and/or on top. You could combine these elements, too. Get a piece of paper, this will act as your wall serface, and sketch recrangles for art very narrow rectagles for shelves. Play around with them until you get an arrangement that your happy with and have fun. You could also hang a mirror across from a bedroom that will reflect the room when the door is open giving the impression of another room on the opposite wall. Hope this helps :)

Decorating & Furniture

G. Norah Baker

My areas of expertise are color selection and accessories. But I have a general knowledge of all areas of interior decorating and would be able to answer questions in any area.

I have decorated over ten houses and apartments and have consulted on five outside projects. I have had an interest in decorating since my teens.

I graduated with highest honors (96%) from Thomson Education Direct in 2002