Decorating & Furniture/knotty pine paneling

My husband and I are buying a house with knotty pine paneling on all 4 walls in the living room. I've always wanted a modern/clean look in our living room but he feels very strongly about preserving the paneling. I've agreed to keep it if we can find a happy medium. Other things you should know: built in pine shelving and red brick fireplace pretty much take up one wall.

Hi Crystal,
         It seems to me you are a modern girl in a country room :) Your best bet is to compromise and use Shaker style pieces. The lines of these cabinets, chairs, etc. were clean and functional. Painting them white will give them a modern feel and tie them to whatever modern furnishings you choose to include. Tie the modern to the country with displays in a county theme, the more rustic the better, as knotty pine says "mountain retreat". Hope this helps :)

Decorating & Furniture

G. Norah Baker

My areas of expertise are color selection and accessories. But I have a general knowledge of all areas of interior decorating and would be able to answer questions in any area.

I have decorated over ten houses and apartments and have consulted on five outside projects. I have had an interest in decorating since my teens.

I graduated with highest honors (96%) from Thomson Education Direct in 2002