Decorating & Furniture/1st and 2nd Floor woodwork Mix or Match

Remodeled the 1st floor last year very arts & craft and put in all oak 4-6" mission style woodwork ( window frames, baseboard, crown molding.  Now on to the upstairs remodel this year...It appears decorating styles of all bedrooms have painted white woodwork.  Can I mix wide oak ww downstairs with wide painted white or should I match the downstairs???

Hi Susan,

You can most certainly mix the finishes from one floor to another.  Be careful of your transition space (stairwell) where you'll have to marry one to the other.  

Having said that, if you prefer the arts and crafts styling, by all means carry it through in your upstairs.  You do not have to maintain white woodwork to have a smart look.  It's just not good to change back and forth between adjacent spaces.  Keep all one floor the same, and if you want to change the second floor, feel free to do it.

Hope this helps you,

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology