Decorating & Furniture/1st and 2nd Floor woodwork Mix or Match

Question
Remodeled the 1st floor last year very arts & craft and put in all oak 4-6" mission style woodwork ( window frames, baseboard, crown molding.  Now on to the upstairs remodel this year...It appears decorating styles of all bedrooms have painted white woodwork.  Can I mix wide oak ww downstairs with wide painted white or should I match the downstairs???

Answer
Hi Susan,

You can most certainly mix the finishes from one floor to another.  Be careful of your transition space (stairwell) where you'll have to marry one to the other.  

Having said that, if you prefer the arts and crafts styling, by all means carry it through in your upstairs.  You do not have to maintain white woodwork to have a smart look.  It's just not good to change back and forth between adjacent spaces.  Keep all one floor the same, and if you want to change the second floor, feel free to do it.

Hope this helps you,
Jenny

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik