Decorating & Furniture/Bathroom

I have recently finished painting the walls of my entire wee apt. (except for the bathroom) in TOASTY GREY, and am extremely happy with the results. I would greatly appreciate your input as to how I should proceed with my very small angle wall bathroom, which features a bath (which can be hidden behind a curtain) and toilet bowl in a 1950's aqua -mint (???) green. The walls are tiled half way up to the ceiling in a very light cream color. I have painted the vanity under the sink and the door to the storage area WHITE. I would love to add a vertical light blue/white striped wallpaper to the upper part of the wall, which would run across the ceiling. Should you think this is a good idea, how wide apart should the stripes be, as I may have to paint them since I cannot find the wallpaper I want. Or should I paint the upper part of the wall in Toasty Grey? I am wanting to create something FUN, and am running out of ideas. Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanking you in advance,

ANSWER: Hi Ruth,
I would make the bathroom really fun!  This is one area where you can definitely experiment and add some interest, therefore, I would not use the Toasty Grey.  What shade of blue are you using?  I think a really nice complimentary color would be Monticello Peach by Benjamin Moore, Cameo White, also by Benjamin Moore, then play up your accessories with shades of light blue and yellow.  I could be way off, a picture is always helpful.  You can also vary the size of the stripe by using painters tape of different widths.  Let me know how you make out.

Kim Boyer

QUESTION: Many thanks, Kim, for your prompt reply. I have changed my mind about painting the white and blue stripes in the bathroom as I realize that I have neither the time nor the energy to do this. And I have been unable to find  light blue and white vertical striped wallpaper on the internet. (I sooo much wanted THAT). So now, I'm thinking of painting the walls powder blue, and wonder which of the Benjamin Moore 2067-60 (Windmill Wings) and 2066-70 would be the lightest. I have already painted the cabinets white.  This may not sound exciting or fun, but since stripes are no longer an option, I can't  visualize another decor. I don't  quite understand how Monticello Peach would be used other than perhaps painting all the walls that color instead of blue??? -  Sorry for sounding so confused, but that's because I am !!!! Please enlighten me. Thanks!

Hi Ruth,
I guess when you said the bath and toilet bowl were aqua/mint, I was picturing light green.  I thought the Monticello Peach was a nice compliment to paint the walls.  If you are going with powder blue 2066-70 is lighter than Windmill Wings. Good luck with your project!

Kim Boyer

Decorating & Furniture

Kim Boyer

I am a Certified Interior Designer, Redesign and Home Staging Professional as well as a Certified Color expert. Therefore I am can assist with questions regarding space planning and furniture arrangement, color selection, art and accessory placement. I am also able to answer questions regarding the selection and sourcing of furniture and flooring materials as well as custom window treatments.

I started in the industry as a design consultant in the custom window treatment and home furnishings industry. I have gone on to establish my own full service interior decorating business, Kimberly Boyer Interiors, with specialities in redesign, home staging and color consultations. I was also a featured designer on MyHome2.0 a Verizon Fios sponsered Home Technology Makeover Show.

Affiliate Member Interior Design Society The SDP, ODDAA, ABWA, Interior Redesign Directory

Publications website Ask the Interior Designer

Certified Interior Designer Temple University. Certified Redesign and Staging Professional, Society of Decorating Professionals Certified Color Specialist, Society of Decorating Professionals