Decorating & Furniture/Black and white bedroom with red accents

Hi, I have recently decided to completely change my bedroom design, and I need some help!! I am a college student who would really like to do a black and white bedroom with some red accent. However, I really don't want it looking too gothic or contemporary. I don't mind some contemporary pieces, but I would prefer for the room to be inviting and comfortable, while still being sexy. I am a college student, and would like to have this bedroom design for quite a while even when I am done with school. Also, my bedroom furniture now is a cream/off-white color, and being a college student I can't exactly afford new furniture to match. I am just not sure that it will match the decor. If you could help me come up with some ideas I would greatly appreciate it! Thank you so much!

Hi Sydney,

Thanks for writing me.  

First things first, are you willing to paint your furniture?  If so, you may want to either paint it all white or all in black.  If you don't want to paint the furniture, then you'll need a darker color for the walls so that there is contrast between the wall and the furniture.  You may consider using a shade of grey for the wall color.  

If you keep your furniture off-white, then use off-white, black and a touch of red.  

Look around for bed linens.  You can undoubtedly find a comforter/duvet cover in a solid black.  You can then accent that with a cream or white bedskirt (nothing frilly or flouncy, but clean lines) and add the same color pillows to the top of the bed.  I'd also purchase one large pillow for the bed in a cranberry red.  

If you paint your bed black, then go the opposite; white duvet and black pillows with one red one.

Carry the red through the room in small ways; a vase, a picture with red in it etc.

Curtains should match your bed linens.  Check out Target and Bed, Bath & Beyond.  They have great items at great prices and the sales they offer are even better.

This will get you going!

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology