Decorating & Furniture/Choosing wall color-living room

Question
I have deep gold chenille sofa/chairs with med-dark wood trim.  The floor/door molding is a medium stain, light beige carpet.  I currently have a rug which I love that has browns, rust, beige, gold and slight light grey. I can't seem to decide on a wall color.  I love golds, but figure it would compete with furniture.  My husband says "greens" are out, and I don't like blues.  I'm tired of beige and tan colors, but what's left?  The room is about 16 x 26.  I would also like to paint one end wall an accent color.  Since I don't have white trim/molding, I'm afraid to go too dark with the paint color, since there would be no "pop".  Help!

Answer
Hi Judy,
Are you able to send me a photograph of your room?  It would give me a better idea.  Without seeing the actual space, it does sound like you need a little pop.  You could accomplish that a couple of ways.  First, you could match the tone of the wall in a gold a shade lighter or darker than your furniture, then accent with pillows, throws, accessories in shades of rust, brown, green or even red. Try not to make it too matchy matchy or it won't have any pizzazz.  
The other option is to go with color on the rug and the rust or brown would complicate it nicely.  Green is not out, in fact it's quite in, but it's brighter and has more yellow in it than before. What has changed is the undertone.
Which wall will be the accent wall and what are you specifically trying to accomplish?  High contrast accent walls are not as popular as before, but using a color within one or two shades of each other can help to bring the wall in, and give the room a more square, as opposed to rectangular appearance.  Again, a picture would be very helpful.  Good luck, and let me know if this helps!  

Kim Boyer
of Kimberly Boyer Interiors

Decorating & Furniture

Kim Boyer