Decorating & Furniture/Color help

I am getting new brown leather living room furniture. We moved into a new built house 3 months ago and the walls and ceilings are painted a taupe. We currentlty have sage green microfiber furniture and 2 3x5 windows that both face the front of the house. I like the loveseat between the 2 windows. We have cherry wood end tables. I am wanting to buy new lamps and window treatments. The color is the question. I love red but I have chocolate brown and red in my master bath and a little red in my kitchen accented with chili peppers. On my living room walls I have some black iron decor and a black framed mirror. Most my pictues are in black frames also.
I am kinda nervous to do a bright color. What do you think? Spill some ideas please.

Hi Shelley,
So sorry for the delayed reply.  I was having issues with my inbox all weekend.  Glad I finally caught up with you.  Where are you trying to incorporate the bright color, in the window treatments?  With the colors you described I wouldn't recommend using a bright color on the windows.  To make the room feel larger and more cohesive, the trend today is to have the window treatments blend into the walls.  You could play it up by using lots of texture in the fabric.  Or, to spice them up a little, add a large band of
color at the bottom or as a trim on the leading edge.  I LOVE red.  It's ok to incorporate little touches of the same color throughout.  That's what ties the room together and makes them flow, without looking all the same.  It's also ok to mix up the art and accessories.  Having the pictures all in the black frames is great, but don't feel like everything now has to be black.  It will add more interest.  Please let me know if I totally missed the boat on this answer.  If you need any additional assistance, I can be more helpful with specifics.  Good luck.

Kim Boyer  

Decorating & Furniture

Kim Boyer

I am a Certified Interior Designer, Redesign and Home Staging Professional as well as a Certified Color expert. Therefore I am can assist with questions regarding space planning and furniture arrangement, color selection, art and accessory placement. I am also able to answer questions regarding the selection and sourcing of furniture and flooring materials as well as custom window treatments.

I started in the industry as a design consultant in the custom window treatment and home furnishings industry. I have gone on to establish my own full service interior decorating business, Kimberly Boyer Interiors, with specialities in redesign, home staging and color consultations. I was also a featured designer on MyHome2.0 a Verizon Fios sponsered Home Technology Makeover Show.

Affiliate Member Interior Design Society The SDP, ODDAA, ABWA, Interior Redesign Directory

Publications website Ask the Interior Designer

Certified Interior Designer Temple University. Certified Redesign and Staging Professional, Society of Decorating Professionals Certified Color Specialist, Society of Decorating Professionals