Decorating & Furniture/Coordinating Furniture...

Question
Hi Jenny,

I am deciding today on a couch color/fabric for our first real furniture purchase!  About 4 months ago, my husband's father bought us a green (sage) la-z-boy recliner for our living room, so I guess I am trying to find a good color and fabric to go with that chair.  Our living room is currently a watermelon pink color (was that way when we moved in this summer), and we have wood floors and a wood stove.  We are trying to keep the room cozy feeling, so a cozy fabric and color would be best.  The room gets lots of light!  I am hesitant about lighter colors because we may get a dog relatively soon and the couch will be getting lots of use regardless of pets.  Do you have ideas?  Thanks so much for your help!

Allison

Answer
Hi Allison,

Thanks for choosing me to answer your decor question.  

The watermelon pink and the sage green should be a good combination, since pink is a shade of red and red is the color opposite of green.  

My best suggestion to you is that you purchase a fabric that is either solid in color, or that appears to be solid from a distance.  Do not spend your hard-earned money on a stripe, a floral or a plaid piece of furniture that you will inevitably get tired of and need to cover and/or replace.  

For my money, I'd opt for a neutral colored sofa - either a camel brown, taupe, off-white, dark brown or black.  Leather is a long-wear, durable material that you may want to consider.  

The only problem with leather and animals (I have a cat) are the animal nails/claws.  With dogs, they can be particularly rough; with cats, they LOVE to scratch.  

Hope this helps you with your impending decision.

Jenny

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik