Decorating & Furniture/Coordinating furniture and wood finishes

I have a great room and den that is separated by a stairway where the banister spindles are white and the railings/posts are light oak.  The sofa & love seat in the great room is chocolate brown microfiber.  We are looking at purchasing a t.v. armoire for the great room and a nice desk for the den which can be seen from the great room.  We am struggling on what type of wood finish we should select for the t.v. armoire and desk.  

Any suggestions you may have would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Hi Sandra,
I don't believe you have to worry so much about the woods matching.  In fact, it would be much more interesting if they don't.  Today, the look is to be eclectic instead of matchy matchy.  So, with that said, I would go with what you like for each piece. You might even find some really cool pieces from an antique shop, thrift store or flea market that would add charm and personality instead of the traditional.  I found an old sideboard at an auction that was perfect for a TV stand.  I've used it to store linens, and now it is in my breakfast room.  Also, check the paper for great items for sale.  Last week someone was advertising an armoire from a well known furniture maker in my area for $350.  It originally sold for $1200 and will probably never go out of style.   The owner just got tired of it. I was actually in the Goodwill today that had an awesome old kitchen table that would have made a fabulous desk and it was only $25! Hope this helps, have fun in your search!

Kim Boyer

Decorating & Furniture

Kim Boyer

I am a Certified Interior Designer, Redesign and Home Staging Professional as well as a Certified Color expert. Therefore I am can assist with questions regarding space planning and furniture arrangement, color selection, art and accessory placement. I am also able to answer questions regarding the selection and sourcing of furniture and flooring materials as well as custom window treatments.

I started in the industry as a design consultant in the custom window treatment and home furnishings industry. I have gone on to establish my own full service interior decorating business, Kimberly Boyer Interiors, with specialities in redesign, home staging and color consultations. I was also a featured designer on MyHome2.0 a Verizon Fios sponsered Home Technology Makeover Show.

Affiliate Member Interior Design Society The SDP, ODDAA, ABWA, Interior Redesign Directory

Publications website Ask the Interior Designer

Certified Interior Designer Temple University. Certified Redesign and Staging Professional, Society of Decorating Professionals Certified Color Specialist, Society of Decorating Professionals