Decorating & Furniture/Floor, wall and decoration colors combination

Question
Hi! Pls help me my living room floor colors are light brown & white square ceramic. Is it ok if my wall is pale yellow? I mean, is it a good combination? And also, we are planning to buy furniture and decorations, can you advise me of what color should I buy?

Answer
Hi Connie,

Thanks for your question.  Pale yellow is a beautiful color.  It's a difficult color to paint sometimes due to it's translucent nature.  It "works" with your floor colors, but I will caution you that it will appear to be "more of the same" - or a color that will not provide any contrast to the floor color.  It's what we call a monochromatic color scheme, and that works well in contemporary settings.  

If you opt for the pale yellow, then you have the opportunity to add contrast (if that's your choice) with the furniture.  If you prefer a monochromatic color scheme, then use pale furnishings; differing shades and textures of the pale yellow and/or light brown.  If your taste lends more to traditional or eclectic styles, use darker furnishings.  

Here's one rule that will pay you big dividends regardless of the style you're after.  In purchasing big ticket items (like sofas, or love seats and chairs) purchase a solid shade of color, or a weave that from a distance appears solid in color.  By doing this, you can change your throw pillows, accessories etc. for a lot less money than replacing furniture when your tastes change, or you just want a change in the look of the room.

Hope this helps.  Thanks again for choosing me as your answer expert!

Jenny

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik