Decorating & Furniture/Furniture Arranging

Question
QUESTION: What are the best pieces of furniture and how should they be arranged in a living room that is 14'X14'.  Has a 6' wide door in the center of both the N and the W walls.  Has a door on the E wall that is 3' wide and 2' from the N wall.  Has a window that is 6' wide and 2' from the W wall.  Ceiling is 7' high.  Room has an entertainment armoire in the NW corner that cannot be moved.

ANSWER: Hi Mona,
Do you have any existing furnishings besides the armoire?  The first thing I would do is place a sofa or love seat on an angle facing the entertainment armoire.  I take it that's your focal point. Bring the
furniture into the center of the room and anchor it with an area rug.  You could use a chair on either side of the sofa facing each other.  If you have room, you could do a sofa and a love seat as well.  Hope this helps.

Kim Boyer

QUESTION: Do you have any suggestions for the area behind the sofa?  The SE corner seems so bare. Also, the chair to the East of the sofa blocks the 3' wide door on the E wall. Maybe I'm not positioning the furniture exactly the way you mean or do you have any other suggestions?

Answer
Hi Mona,
Can you move the chair to the opposite side? Some suggestions for behind the sofa would be a plant, a sofa table, or something to serve as a sofa table such as a bench, 2 trays of some kind, a chest, a piano bench, an old bureau, etc.  You could then put a lamp and some accessories there.  Shop your other rooms for some ideas. You'll be amazed at what you'll find.

Kim Boyer

Decorating & Furniture

Kim Boyer