Decorating & Furniture/Interior and furniture selection

Question
Hi Jenny, We just purchased our new home and i have a few questions.
1) we've got dark brown (like mahogany) cabinets in the kitchen with stainless steel and black appliances. The formal dining area is across the kitchen and we got dark brown wood flooring ( 2 shades lighter) for the same. I thought i might love it, but seems like it darkens the place a bit.Now my question is what kind of dining table should i purchase?Will a similar shade make the room look too small or dark?

2) The breakfast nook is on the other side of the kitchen and we have a bay window.The flooring is sand colored vinyl which looks pretty good. I am looking to buy a round breakfast table that almost matches the shade of the kitchen cabinets.Will that be ok? The walls are all white and we do not plan to paint them any soon..

3) In the family room which is adjacent the kitchen, again we are planning on getting a similar dark finish entertainment center to place our TV etc.  Or couch is very light brown(like the usual carpet color) and I was wondering what color of pillows etc i can use.Will Maroon be ok? Or will that be too much of a dark combination again?

Thanks in advance and i hope i was clear!  

Answer
Hi Ann G,

Thanks for the questions.  While your kitchen and adjacent spaces sound well-done, you need to paint the walls something other than white.  The white walls, as opposed to the cabinets and flooring are what causes the problem because there is too much contrast.

For # 1, I think you "can" use a similar shade to the floor, although I'd probably lighten it up a bit.  Again, I'm referring to contrast as being a key to great decor.

# 2, I'd try and approximate the shade of wood for this table to the kitchen cabinetry.  You'll no doubt be happier with that.  Again, please paint the walls, even if it's a light shade of mocha or camel brown, you need to have some color around you.

# 3, You can certainly use maroon or burgandy for throw pillows, and I'd probably add yet one more color to the mix.  

Please consider painting these areas.  I guarantee you that you won't regret doing it.  All adjacent areas could be painted the same, or a shade of two darker or lighter than the next.

Jenny

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik