Decorating & Furniture/Living Room furniture arrangement

I have a living room that is approximately 12'x20'feet (rectangular).  On one of the long sides there is a fireplace and an opening to the dining room and an inset area for the TV/Stereo.  On the other long side is a love seat and two small sofa tables on either side of the love seat.  Then 3/4 of the way toward the back of the room is a sofa that we have at an angle.  Then behind that is an open area that has a window and a small seating area.  The other short wall is actually an opening to the hallway.  My question is that we have a very large area of open space and need some type of coffe table or ottoman with storage space.  I was wondering if I should choose a rectangular or square size one?  We used to have a large rectangular coffee table, but it was too big, so we got rid of it.

I have an idea for you!  I would recommend those square storage cubes. They are quite popular and are available in a variety of fabrics including leather.  They are great because you can use them in a row (hence the rectangle) or put them together in a square,  offering you options, as well as storage and extra seating!  When not in use, you could slide the extra ones under the sofa tables! Depending upon budget you could purchase upto 4 of them for greatest flexibility!   I hope this is helpful!

Kim Boyer

Decorating & Furniture

Kim Boyer

I am a Certified Interior Designer, Redesign and Home Staging Professional as well as a Certified Color expert. Therefore I am can assist with questions regarding space planning and furniture arrangement, color selection, art and accessory placement. I am also able to answer questions regarding the selection and sourcing of furniture and flooring materials as well as custom window treatments.

I started in the industry as a design consultant in the custom window treatment and home furnishings industry. I have gone on to establish my own full service interior decorating business, Kimberly Boyer Interiors, with specialities in redesign, home staging and color consultations. I was also a featured designer on MyHome2.0 a Verizon Fios sponsered Home Technology Makeover Show.

Affiliate Member Interior Design Society The SDP, ODDAA, ABWA, Interior Redesign Directory

Publications website Ask the Interior Designer

Certified Interior Designer Temple University. Certified Redesign and Staging Professional, Society of Decorating Professionals Certified Color Specialist, Society of Decorating Professionals