Decorating & Furniture/Mixing Wood colors

Question
Basically, I just need an opinion.....
I have a cherry wood dining table and I recently saw a good priced bar that is a brown color that would be close to the dining table that I was thinking of getting. The dining room is 18x18 feet and the bar would be 6 feet away from the dining table. My question is...is there a rule of thumb about matching wood colors/types in certain rooms ?

Thank you,

Vic

Answer
Hi Vic,

Thanks for choosing me for your question.

Mixing woods is totally acceptable, and actually I encourage people to do that.  Having everything the same tends to look too "matchy" and takes away from the overall look of the space.  It's sort of like going to these stores where everything is one price - including the art work - and a designer put it together.  There's nothing "personal" about that, and to me design is personal.

Bottom line.........if you like it together, then it "goes" together.

Jenny

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik