Decorating & Furniture/Mixing Wood colors

Basically, I just need an opinion.....
I have a cherry wood dining table and I recently saw a good priced bar that is a brown color that would be close to the dining table that I was thinking of getting. The dining room is 18x18 feet and the bar would be 6 feet away from the dining table. My question there a rule of thumb about matching wood colors/types in certain rooms ?

Thank you,

Hi Vic,

Thanks for choosing me for your question.

Mixing woods is totally acceptable, and actually I encourage people to do that.  Having everything the same tends to look too "matchy" and takes away from the overall look of the space.  It's sort of like going to these stores where everything is one price - including the art work - and a designer put it together.  There's nothing "personal" about that, and to me design is personal.

Bottom line.........if you like it together, then it "goes" together.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology