Decorating & Furniture/New Kitchen

Hi Rachel - thanks for volunteering on this great site!  We are just finishing an addition and reno to a house we bought 2 yrs ago. Originally 1000 sq ft, now 2000.  Thought the kitchen was going to be OK but doesn't fit with rest of the house.  The house is country cottage/small farmhouse style.  Lots of french doors, white trim, crown, etc.  French or English country look.  We run a 7.5 acre organic vegetable farm.  The current kitchen looks downtown loft (orange-brown contempory cabinets and black appliances.  We have finally agreed to a new kitchen.  I am leaning towards antique white painted doors w/glaze, granite counters and stainless appliances.I am suddenly worried that this will look dated in 10 yrs - the rest of the house is timeless style I think.  I like ivory cabinets w/butcher block counter but am scared of the upkeep, etc.  What do you think would look timeless? Thanks for your help.

Hi Kim,
I would stick with your idea for the white cabinets and if you go the granite route I would choose something neutral. I think the stainless appliances will definitely be a good investment and they will last you a long time. I posted some images of kitchens that I think are timeless and can work with your style of home on my blog. You can check it out here:

Hope this helps and good luck!

Rachel Mallon, ASID
Interior Designer

Decorating & Furniture

Rachel Mallon Allied Member ASID

I will answer any questions concerning interior design and decorating. I can help with color, furniture placement, material choices, and much more. I am more than happy to help people. Please email me with questions and concerns. Decorating may not be as easy as it looks and with a little help from me you can improve your living space. Check out my decorating blog Room in a Book Blog
If you are looking to redo an entire room in your home and want professional design assistance please visit Room in a Book

Experience: I have a bachelors degree in Interior Design. I have worked for West Elm and Kitchen Kaboodle and I recently worked for an Interior Design firm in Portland, OR. I currently work as an Interior Designer in Maui, Hawaii. Room in a Book