Decorating & Furniture/Paint color-living room

Question
I have deep gold chenille sofa/chairs with med-dark wood trim.  The floor/door molding is a medium stain, light beige carpet.  I currently have a rug which I love that has browns, rust, beige, gold and slight light grey. I can't seem to decide on a wall color.  I love golds, but figure it would compete with furniture.  My husband says "greens" are out, and I don't like blues.  I'm tired of beige and tan colors, but what's left?  The room is about 16 x 26.  Since I don't have white trim/molding, I'm afraid to go too dark with the paint color, since there would be no contrast or "pop" and would be cave-like.

Also, at the end of the room (short end), is a fire place set at a diagonal.  I would like to accent that wall, but what color and don't know if I should included the fireplace wall.

Thanx

Answer
Hi Judi,

Thanks for choosing me to answer your decor questions.  

The gold would indeed compete with your furniture, but you mentioned that you love the rug and one of the colors in it is rust.  Why don't you consider using a shade (lighter or darker than the rug color) of the rust for your walls?  If you opt to do that, you could use a chocolate brown for the fireplace wall, setting it apart and making it a prominent part of the space.

Nutmeg comes to mind when I envision your room.  Look into the shades of rust that appeal to you.  You could also invert this by doing chocolate walls and a nutmeg shade for the fireplace wall. The other option would be a pale yellow wall color with either a darker shade of it on the fireplace wall or leaving it white to create some contrast.

Hope this gives you some food for thought.

Jenny

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik