Decorating & Furniture/Painting an accent wall

I am a "hobbyist" decorator and have agreed to help a friend redo a portion of her home. She wants an accent color on one wall of the living room. The ceiling is vaulted and very high. Should we choose a faux finish? paint a design such as stripes? Current colors are golds, red, burgundy.

Hi Joyce,

Since the wall has a high vaulted ceiling, you may want to consider a horizontal stripe rather than a vertical one to "bring" the eye down to the wall.  A faux finish is another good idea, but that's a lot of space to "faux", and unless you're accomplished at it AND have no fear of heights, you may want to use another technique.  

One simpler way to accomplish the accent wall is to pick a wow color and paint that one wall in it.  

Let me know how it turns out, and keep up your "hobbyist" decorating.  If you'll start keeping a before and after photo journal of the things you do, you may find yourself in business.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology