Decorating & Furniture/Painting to match furniture

Question
Livingroom
Livingroom  
Hi Jenny, I am trying to decide colors for my living room and am having problems.  I live in a townhouse and in the living room I have large mushroom suede couches (am looking to add color with accent pillows but don't know which color yet), cream colored carpets and dark brown tables.  There is a fireplace in the corner that we are having redone in a dark cultured stone and off the living living room is a country cottage brown dining room table and Hutch.  Currently the paint is a light beige with white trim and I find this very bland.  Do you have any suggestions on a paint color??  Also I need to start getting some accent colors happening but am stuck on which way to go....maybe green?  I also need help with window treatments so any suggestions are appreciated.  Thanks Jenny!

Answer
Leanne,

Darken the walls.  If you're afraid of a dark shade of a color, try at least Toasty Grey from Glidden.  It's a taupe, but it's beautiful and darker than what you have now.  And no, it will not make the room appear smaller.  What it will do is give you some much needed contrast between the sofas and the wall.  I see you have some striped pillows on one couch and solids on the other.  Once you've painted, get some eye-popping colored pillows to enliven the space even more.  If nothing else, select a color from your NYC landscape that's above the couch.  

If you like reds, try a cranberry.  If you like blues, try a Carribbean blue or a medium shade of true blue.  Even green tones will go with what you have now.  

You're color starved.  Think about your favorite color and try adding it to the space!  Why wouldn't you like that?  

And once  you've added pillows, consider adding some color to the window by way of some simple floor to ceiling draperies on either side of that window.  

Hope this helps you,
Jenny

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik