Decorating & Furniture/Wall colours?

Moved into my loft 3 weeks ago and am still indecisive about my wall colours. Where to begin….

First the basics: I have 13’ wooden plank ceilings, black girders, exposed tin/silver duct work and birch floors throughout.

I am going for a grey motif with a contemporary black/white theme. I have three bookcases, all in white—two of which will flank either side of my black lacquered TV stand with black TV (east wall). Six feet away is a black leather sofa with a beautiful and very low to the ground white lacquered coffee table intersecting the two with a 6x6 medium grey shag rug.

The opposite wall will be my accent wall which will house the other bookcase (this one is different in style from the other two).

It is an open concept; think of a box: you enter the suite in the south west corner and immediately to your right is the kitchen, straight ahead—end of the room—are large windows that are intersected by a ceiling to floor column (dry wall) and not quite ceiling to floor windows.

There is a square 2x2 column that in a sense symbolizes the division between the kitchen and living area (somewhat obstructs the view of the windows when standing at the front door).

I have, in effect, three walls (the fourth being the windows). The kitchen shares the walls of the foyer and the living room wall (east wall); however this space is isolated by the design of the drywall hence I can paint it a distinctive colour without any issue…

The kitchen has stainless steel appliances, modern white cabinets and granite countertops (a very popular white with black and grey speckles).

At this point I plan on keeping the entertainment wall white (?). I am not sure if I should paint the accent wall a red with the area (5 plus feet) above the cabinets a shade of grey (Ralph Lauren “LOFT”) and the pillar the same colour OR the kitchen/pillar red with the “accent” wall the grey? … was going to paint the drywall all around the windows a darker shade of grey (?) (RL Bleeker), which matches the shag rug…

I plan on using a grey glass backsplash… and am painting the foyer a beige/brown (RL Soho).

Should I keep the entertainment wall white? Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thank you so much for your time,

ANSWER: Wow, This sounds like an awesome space!  I've been pondering it for awhile today and was hoping to get to Home Depot today to pick up some samples of the Ralph Lauren paint colors you mentioned.  I love the concept of what you are doing, and definitely think a red will kick it up a notch.  Can you give me some time to pick up the paint samples and get back to you tomorrow?  If you could take a photo and send it, I always appreciate the opportunity to see it first hand.  Thank you.

Kim Boyer
Kimberly Boyer Interiors

Foyer to living room
Foyer to living room  

Your are awesome! Thanks for taking the time to thoroughly address my questions; you are truly a professional!

I took several pictures but can seemingly only send one. If you would like me to send you some more kindly forward your e-mail address.

HI Rob,
What a great space!  I picked up the RL color chart and swatches today.  The SOHO Loft (UL10) is a rust color.  Is this different from SOHO?  It's the only one I saw.  I like Bleeker and Loft alot and like where you are going with it. Village would be a great red to put with it, but if UL10 is the Soho you were talking about painting the foyer, I'm not sure I would have red next to it. Please forward the rest of the photos so I can get a better idea of the cut off. You can send them to
Thank you.

Decorating & Furniture

Kim Boyer

I am a Certified Interior Designer, Redesign and Home Staging Professional as well as a Certified Color expert. Therefore I am can assist with questions regarding space planning and furniture arrangement, color selection, art and accessory placement. I am also able to answer questions regarding the selection and sourcing of furniture and flooring materials as well as custom window treatments.

I started in the industry as a design consultant in the custom window treatment and home furnishings industry. I have gone on to establish my own full service interior decorating business, Kimberly Boyer Interiors, with specialities in redesign, home staging and color consultations. I was also a featured designer on MyHome2.0 a Verizon Fios sponsered Home Technology Makeover Show.

Affiliate Member Interior Design Society The SDP, ODDAA, ABWA, Interior Redesign Directory

Publications website Ask the Interior Designer

Certified Interior Designer Temple University. Certified Redesign and Staging Professional, Society of Decorating Professionals Certified Color Specialist, Society of Decorating Professionals