Decorating & Furniture/Window Treatments

I am looking to find a curtain rod for a very large window that will need a rod around 137 inches long.  Where on earth can I find this without paying a lot to have it custom made?

Hi Sabrina,

Thanks for choosing me to answer your decor question.  

I'm not aware of any ready-made rod in that length.  What you may  consider is to either use closet dowling (the round wooden dowels that comes in varying lengths for closets), a metal plumbing pipe or divide the length in half and using two ready-made rods.  The two pieces can be glued together with wood glue (obviously if it's wood) or a product called Liquid Nails which works on metal, and would then need to be supported in the middle by an additional holder.  The length you're describing will have to have mid supports regardless of the material you use.

Closet dowling has been a lifesaver to me on more than one occasion.  It's paintable, sturdy and is available at your local home improvement store.  I've also used plumbing pipe, which again can be painted (a hammered paint looks terrific here) or simply scrubbed with steel wool and left natural.  In either case, finials work well to dress up the ends.

Hope this gives you some hope!

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology