Decorating & Furniture/basement and kitchen

1) our kitchen is rather large with one wall full of cabinets top and bottom. we're considering refacing them. what about espresso cabinets with a mustard color pain above top cabinets and kitchen walls? will the espresso/java color be too much? the island is going to be light cream with a light esmerelda (green) granite counter top.

2) we're also refinishing the basement which is a walk-out. the furniture is chocolate brown leather. which paint color should we use? and what about the style of carpet..berber, short shag, or patterened industrial?

Good Morning!

Thanks for your questions.  Ii love the espresso cabinet redo, and if you love the mustard color, it will go great with that cabinet color.  Pairing the mustard with green is fine as long as the two colors (the granite and the wall color) suit "you".  Breaking up the island with the light cream shade is smart as well.  That gives contrast and a place for the eye to rest.  

The basement may be darker than the rest of your home only because of it's location and being a walk-out.  You most likely have natural light coming in from only the "walk-out" side, so I'd opt for a lighter shade for the walls.  You might consider a taupe like Toasty Grey from Glidden, or a "not as dark as mustard" yellow, or even a cool green or blue to accompany your brown leather.  I personally still like the pale to medium blue (or even pale turquoise) and brown combination, although most designers says it's been done enough.  

My feeling is that if you like the color combination, it will be great in your home.

As for carpeting, I'd opt for either berber or industrial and that decision will depend on how much foot traffic your basement area will get.  If it's a lot -- especially teenage (or younger) foot traffic, I'd opt for the industrial.  

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology