Decorating & Furniture/blending furniture styles and finishes

My great room is country style, the wood furniture is all medium/antiqued stain maple, oak and pine, fabric colors are greens and burgandy, the walls and floors are off white.  Is there a way to blend in a white washed antique style pie safe with all the existing wood furniture or would I have to paint it maybe a darker burgandy color to blend it in?

Hi Betsy,

Use the pie safe as is.  It will be a great addition to the space and add some unique contrast to the wood.  Once you've added the pie safe, coordinate other small accessories near or on it that pull in the fabric colors of the room.

To me, all the same equals blah.  Add something unique and different and you suddenly have "drama", also known as the "wow factor" in decor.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology