Decorating & Furniture/color of furniture

My living room has light mud color walls with a tinch of pink in it.The carpet is skin goldenish. with a big red turkish rug on it. What color should the furniture be. There are 3 separate sofas in the living room.Thanks a lot

Thanks for selecting me to answer your question.  I'd probably opt for a dark brown or black as far as furniture.  Of course, I'm thinking leather.  If you'd prefer fabric, then select your favorite "neutral" shade and go for that.  Just make sure that your fabric appears a solid color, that if it has a pattern in it, you don't see the pattern from a distance, i.e., no plaids or florals.  You tend to tire of all that bold pattern quickly, and furniture isn't cheap.

Actually, if you opt for leather, you could use black, brown or dark green.  All these colors would go very well with your rug, wall color and carpet.

Hope this helps you.

Thanks a lot for your answer which was very useful. I would also like to know should all the 3 sofa be of the same color or can i use different colors. I also want to place flowers in my living room, which color artificial flower should  use. In the end thanks again.

You can use different colors, but I think you'd be happiest if at least 2 of the 3 were the same.  As for artificial flowers, I'd opt for some silk ones and use the red from your rug, the muddy color from your walls and some that match your carpet color.  Add some simple green silk leaves to the arrangement as well.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology