Decorating & Furniture/decorating ideas for a tall stair wall

We have a tall stair wall in our home near the beach.  It opens up into a large
great room, but it is an older home so the "open" area is by the stairs in the
middle of the house instead of by the windows at the back.  We are lookng
for ideas as to how to break up the 20ft+height of the wall, and the 20ft
length.  My husband likes the idea of putting 3 surfboards on the wall in sizes
from largest to smallest to fit the space, but since we don't have a house at
the beach and our decor is more "country french" or "cottage" I don't think
that will work.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Laurie,

While the "item" he selected is not the best choice for your home, his idea is a great one.  Select something appropriate to your country french or cottage style and use that to enliven the space.  

It may be anything from a series of wreaths to lattice and vines, but find something in your home -- collectibles maybe -- that interest you and would be of interest on the wall.  Groupings of odd numbers are best.

And if all else fails, why not use family photos all framed alike, or even old photos from calendars framed alike.  The key is continuity, and framing everything the same will serve that purpose.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology