Decorating & Furniture/interior designing

What finishing touches and /or accessories would you add to a  country style sitting room with conservatory leading off through double french doors,furnished with two modem sofas in floral fabricto match the curtains,two antique chairs upholstered in coordinating plain colours,mahgony bureau bookcase,pembroke table,wicker threatrical hamper used as a coffee table,built-in bookshelves,pale yellow emulsion painted walls,gold or beige seagrass matting floor covering?
If your clients asks you to redesign their home,their tastes and lifestyle are different from your own.suggest all the steps you would take from meeting to adding the finishing touches in satisfying them?

I would probably take a walk through the house with the homeowner, looking for accessories they already have.  It could be family photos, family heirlooms, collections, etc. and I would group them together in the room.  Books, candlesticks, plants, decorative boxes or ceramics, statues, hopefully things the homeowner loves.  The room already sounds fabulous, doesn't seem like it will need much to complete the space.

When I meet with a client for a redesign, it is always all about them.  I ask lots of questions about the family and how the space will be used. What is the primary purpose of the room?  I ask them to tell me what they love about the room and what they don't like about it as well.  How many people will be using the room, does it need to serve multiple purposes, what do they want to definitely keep in the room. I get a pretty good feel for what they are trying to achieve and their style.  A redesign is about using what the homeowner already has, and I will shop the home to pull items from other spaces.  In rare occasions, I will embellish with items as necessary to give them the idea of what is needed in a particular area.  For instance, if they don't have enough lighting, I will bring in a light and show them the benefit of having an additional light in that area.  I hope that answers all your questions.

Kim Boyer

Decorating & Furniture

Kim Boyer

I am a Certified Interior Designer, Redesign and Home Staging Professional as well as a Certified Color expert. Therefore I am can assist with questions regarding space planning and furniture arrangement, color selection, art and accessory placement. I am also able to answer questions regarding the selection and sourcing of furniture and flooring materials as well as custom window treatments.

I started in the industry as a design consultant in the custom window treatment and home furnishings industry. I have gone on to establish my own full service interior decorating business, Kimberly Boyer Interiors, with specialities in redesign, home staging and color consultations. I was also a featured designer on MyHome2.0 a Verizon Fios sponsered Home Technology Makeover Show.

Affiliate Member Interior Design Society The SDP, ODDAA, ABWA, Interior Redesign Directory

Publications website Ask the Interior Designer

Certified Interior Designer Temple University. Certified Redesign and Staging Professional, Society of Decorating Professionals Certified Color Specialist, Society of Decorating Professionals