Decorating & Furniture/interior designing

Question
Q-What finishing touches and /or accessories would you add to a  country style sitting room with conservatory leading off through double french doors,furnished with two modem sofas in floral fabric to match the curtains,two antique chairs upholstered in coordinating plain colours,mahgony bureau bookcase,pembroke table,wicker theatrical hamper used as a coffee table,built-in bookshelves,pale yellow emulsion painted walls,gold or beige seagrass matting floor covering?

Q-If your clients asks you to redesign their home,their tastes and lifestyle are different from your own.suggest all the steps you would take from meeting to adding the finishing touches in satisfying them?

Answer
Q1-Can you send images? If possible please send them to rachelmallon@gmail.com

Q2-In order to satisfy my clients I try to ask as many questions as possible and listening very carefully is also very important. I like all styles of design and one way to get an idea of what style or feel a client is looking for is to show them images of different style interiors. I ask them what they like or don't like about them. This process can really help to narrow down the direction of the design. I have to say every client is different and the process can vary. Here is a basic step to step process we do for Design Savvy Maui.

1. Initial Consultation
The first step in the Design Process is the initial
consultation, during which time we discuss the Client’s
goals and requirements for the space.  We begin our
research into lifestyle and history, which are key
influences in design development.

2. Project Analysis
This is a follow-up meeting in which we will discuss with
the Client the scope of work as we understand it. This
also determines the applicable fee structure for the
project at hand.

3. Design Development
At this point, we are ready to work off the foundation of
research and a little bit of inspiration to develop an initial
design concept.  We start with preliminary space planning
and color palettes, we then fine tune the design direction
with a series of sketches, computer drawings, hand
renderings, and material boards for visual aid. Upon the
Client’s approval of the design direction, we launch into
the next phase of project implementation.

4. Execution
The actual implementation of the
project and its several pieces is
critical to the finished product. At this
point, we step in to the role of project
management, supervising
subcontractors, and ensuring quality
control of the specified materials and
finishes.  The project is complete
upon the final walk-through with the
Client.

Hope this helps!

Rachel Mallon, ASID
Interior Designer
http://www.roominabook.com

Decorating & Furniture

Rachel Mallon Allied Member ASID