Decorating & Furniture/light wood floor/Dark wood fireplace and tables

Hi I am wondering if this would be ok. I have a very light colored oak pergo floor in my living room. I want to buy this dark dark wood with black fireplace, I am buying new furniture also... I want to go with a darker color and use maybe black for the coffee table and stereo cabinet.Will this look ok with the light color flooring? I am tired of everything being light I want dark but don't want to change the flooring... Thank you for your help

Hi Kathy,

Thanks for selecting me to answer your questions.  

I absolutely LOVE light wood floors with black and with dark wood.  The contrast is wonderful, and the mix of woods is a pleasant change from "matchy matchy" that so many people do.  

Contrast is a wonderful tool in decorating, and I think you'll be most happy with the result.  

If for any reason you're not as happy as I think you'll be, add an area rug to the pergo to coordinate all your colors in the space.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology