Decorating & Furniture/metal finishes and woods

Question
QUESTION: I have an open floor plan in regards to the kitchen, dining area, and living room.  Recently we bought stainless steel appliances and I changed the kitchen hardware to the same.  I want to change out the light fixtures in the kitchen and dining area which are bright brass but I don't know what would compliment since I have to ceiling fans in the living room that I will also have to change out.  Also the wood is a medium oak and I'm tired of it.  What can I do in the way of ceiling fans to mix things up a little without making it look like a decorating mistake?

ANSWER: Hi Jeannette,
I'm sorry, I'm a little confused.  You want to change out the lighting in the kitchen and dining room and replace the ceiling fans in the living room, right?  Are you still going to have ceiling fans or do you want to go with other lighting fixtures?  What are you trying to compliment, the stainless steel appliances or the lighting in the other areas?  Sorry, just want to be sure.

Kim Boyer

QUESTION: The entire main floor is open which means from any room I can see all fixtures.  I have 2 ceiling fans in the living room (white and brass) and yes I intend to replace them with another fan.  The kitchen has canned lights with stainless steel trim over the peninsula.  I still need to change out the hanging light over the island and one over the sink...plus the dining area. I am also looking at changing the window hardware throughout the main floor. I feel as though because I started in the kitchen with the stainless steel, I'm having trouble branching out to other metals because I've always been a "matching" nut.  Oh, and my decor is somewhere between a little bit country and traditional. When I tried to find some ceiling fans that are a brushed nickel, I could find NOTHING with a medium oak blade.  I feel like giving up.  HELP!!!

Answer
Hi Jeannette,
I think you are having trouble finding oak blades because Oak is not as popular as it once was and is "dated" by today's standards.  I wouldn't worry about trying to match the oak or the stainless.  There are beautiful fans available, just go with one you like.  Lighting can really make or break a room and can add drama and visual interest.  Glass pendants over the island would be nice and there are many different colors and patterns available.  Step out of the box they don't have to match the other lighting in the kitchen and dining areas.  Lowe's has a very nice selection at reasonable prices. Good luck!

Kim Boyer

Decorating & Furniture

Kim Boyer