Decorating & Furniture/mixing styles

QUESTION: Can we mix the styles.i have a traditional dining set with china & have a  contemporary  red sofa & ivory(whitish)chair set &have purchased a traditional coffee & end table set..the dining & living room are together.i want to know if these things blend together & also need help in choosing the curtains & rugs.Thanks.

ANSWER: Hi Priya,
Of course you can mix styles.  I think it brings more interest to the space.  You can tie it all in with your wall color, rug, art and accessories.  I would need to see a picture of the space to be able to help you further.  Let me know!

Kim Boyer
Kimberly Boyer Interiors

dining room
dining room  
 Thank you very much for your immediate response.I have attached the picture of the dining space.The dining & living together measures approximately 11'*20.I would really appriciate your advice.

ANSWER: Hi Priya,
Thanks for sending the photo.  First off, your dining room furniture si beautiful.  It looks like the white seat covers probably tie in with the white chairs of the living room.  To bring cohesiveness throughout, look for a rug that has more pizzazz to it.  If you bring in some of the red to that area, it will really pop.  Floor to ceiling drapery panels (maybe in a stripe) on either side of the window would be specatcular and really add some drama to the space. Pottery Barn and Target offer some nice selections that would coordinate well. You could also try angling the table for even greater impact. It also helps to get rid of the bowling alley effect in a long narrow space. Paint will also help to unify the space.  Good luck, let me know how you make out!

Kim Boyer
of Kimberly Boyer Interiors

Thank you so much for the response.The ideas are really nice and i am waiting to finish that space.I want to know wheather the rug should be the same in both dining & living area or different.Should the rug design match with the drapery design.And also if a contemporary lamps in the traditional end tables give a nice look.Thanks,Priya.

No, the rugs don't have to be the same. The color should coordinate, but they don't have to be the exact same rug.  Are you painting at all?
The drapery panels could be the same throughout if you want. And it depends what you mean by contemporary lamps.  Are they crystal, metal or metal?

Decorating & Furniture

Kim Boyer

I am a Certified Interior Designer, Redesign and Home Staging Professional as well as a Certified Color expert. Therefore I am can assist with questions regarding space planning and furniture arrangement, color selection, art and accessory placement. I am also able to answer questions regarding the selection and sourcing of furniture and flooring materials as well as custom window treatments.

I started in the industry as a design consultant in the custom window treatment and home furnishings industry. I have gone on to establish my own full service interior decorating business, Kimberly Boyer Interiors, with specialities in redesign, home staging and color consultations. I was also a featured designer on MyHome2.0 a Verizon Fios sponsered Home Technology Makeover Show.

Affiliate Member Interior Design Society The SDP, ODDAA, ABWA, Interior Redesign Directory

Publications website Ask the Interior Designer

Certified Interior Designer Temple University. Certified Redesign and Staging Professional, Society of Decorating Professionals Certified Color Specialist, Society of Decorating Professionals