Decorating & Furniture/old garage new kitchen

QUESTION: We have turned our old car and a half garage into a beautiful kitchen with new drywall on the walls painted a nice shade of denim blue the ceiling is white the natural light is provided through windows (approx. 36x45) one on the east and one on the west and a man door with a window about 3 feet to the left of each window the walls are only 8 feet high. I have not used upper cupboards to keep an open feeling to the room. There is a wood stove in the north east corner to add warmth. My problem is the floor. What do I do with a concrete floor? I love the look of dark flooring but I am debating on whether it will make the room look too short. With only 8 ft ceilings and family members who are 6ft 2 inches it can't look any shorter. Would light floors be a better choice? I can't use hardwood as it would take away too much height and a sub floor is not possible for the same reason. I have seen new flooring that is beautiful it comes in a beige color or a dark grey slate looking pattern. Does dark flooring make the floors appear to be deeper or do they look shorter. Please help me clear this up. Thanks Mary Robinson

ANSWER: Hi Mary,
Your new kitchen sounds beautiful!  What type of new flooring did you see that you liked?  There are many options available to you including cork and bamboo.  You also have options with the existing concrete floor.  Have you thought of painting it?  You could also have a decorative design embossed on it.  Adding area rugs or runners to the space would also help to warm the space and you could easily change them seasonally for a whole new look!  As far as dark or light, it's up to you.  I do think the lighter floor will make the space look bigger.  But a darker floor can be warm and cozy.   

Kim Boyer

the flooring i was concidering is a laminate that looks like slate, large tile squares(20x20)  3 squares to a tile high traffic area so paint would get worn quickly  Its is really nice to bring the groceries in and not have stairs to  contend with as driveway and kitchen are now on same level i will use a couple runners  and a rubber mat at the kitchen sink. I am going to make demin and white plaid roman blinds for window treatments so i just have to figure out how i want the floors finished thanks for your tips  mary

Another way to create cohesiveness to the space would be to use similar shades for the floor and countertops.  Since they are both horizontal surfaces, it would create an overall feel of spaciousness.  Sounds like you are on your way, Good Luck!

Kim Boyer

Decorating & Furniture

Kim Boyer

I am a Certified Interior Designer, Redesign and Home Staging Professional as well as a Certified Color expert. Therefore I am can assist with questions regarding space planning and furniture arrangement, color selection, art and accessory placement. I am also able to answer questions regarding the selection and sourcing of furniture and flooring materials as well as custom window treatments.

I started in the industry as a design consultant in the custom window treatment and home furnishings industry. I have gone on to establish my own full service interior decorating business, Kimberly Boyer Interiors, with specialities in redesign, home staging and color consultations. I was also a featured designer on MyHome2.0 a Verizon Fios sponsered Home Technology Makeover Show.

Affiliate Member Interior Design Society The SDP, ODDAA, ABWA, Interior Redesign Directory

Publications website Ask the Interior Designer

Certified Interior Designer Temple University. Certified Redesign and Staging Professional, Society of Decorating Professionals Certified Color Specialist, Society of Decorating Professionals