Decorating & Furniture/painting kitchen cabinets

Question
We just recently bought a house, its not new (build in 1978) so it is pretty outdated. The kitchen has really dark brown cabinet doors. The counter tops are a light creamish color, floors are close to the same but a little whiter. We cant afford to completely redue the kitchen at the moment so I was wondering if painting the cabinets and the walls would be a good idea. I dont have a clue as to what two colors would look good so I was wondering if you could give me an idea. Contemporary is not my style at all, I'm more into the neutral colors.

Answer
Hi Priscilla,
You can make a huge impact by painting your cabinets and giving the walls a fresh coat of paint.  Without knowing you, or what you like, I couldn't begin to tell you what colors to paint the area.  Start by creating a style file.  Look through magazines and tear out pictures of kitchens or colors that you like.  Look on line at sources like Better Homes and Gardens or HGTV for many ideas.  You'll start to see a pattern forming of the things that you are drawn to.  Do you like warm or cool colors? Do you want a cozy or a bright and airy look?  Go with what you like!  Just make sure you sand and prime the cabinets before painting.  An oil paint will also hold up extremely well on the cabinets.  

Kim Boyer
of Kimberly Boyer Interiors

Decorating & Furniture

Kim Boyer