Decorating & Furniture/painting kitchen cabinets

We just recently bought a house, its not new (build in 1978) so it is pretty outdated. The kitchen has really dark brown cabinet doors. The counter tops are a light creamish color, floors are close to the same but a little whiter. We cant afford to completely redue the kitchen at the moment so I was wondering if painting the cabinets and the walls would be a good idea. I dont have a clue as to what two colors would look good so I was wondering if you could give me an idea. Contemporary is not my style at all, I'm more into the neutral colors.

Hi Priscilla,
You can make a huge impact by painting your cabinets and giving the walls a fresh coat of paint.  Without knowing you, or what you like, I couldn't begin to tell you what colors to paint the area.  Start by creating a style file.  Look through magazines and tear out pictures of kitchens or colors that you like.  Look on line at sources like Better Homes and Gardens or HGTV for many ideas.  You'll start to see a pattern forming of the things that you are drawn to.  Do you like warm or cool colors? Do you want a cozy or a bright and airy look?  Go with what you like!  Just make sure you sand and prime the cabinets before painting.  An oil paint will also hold up extremely well on the cabinets.  

Kim Boyer
of Kimberly Boyer Interiors

Decorating & Furniture

Kim Boyer

I am a Certified Interior Designer, Redesign and Home Staging Professional as well as a Certified Color expert. Therefore I am can assist with questions regarding space planning and furniture arrangement, color selection, art and accessory placement. I am also able to answer questions regarding the selection and sourcing of furniture and flooring materials as well as custom window treatments.

I started in the industry as a design consultant in the custom window treatment and home furnishings industry. I have gone on to establish my own full service interior decorating business, Kimberly Boyer Interiors, with specialities in redesign, home staging and color consultations. I was also a featured designer on MyHome2.0 a Verizon Fios sponsered Home Technology Makeover Show.

Affiliate Member Interior Design Society The SDP, ODDAA, ABWA, Interior Redesign Directory

Publications website Ask the Interior Designer

Certified Interior Designer Temple University. Certified Redesign and Staging Professional, Society of Decorating Professionals Certified Color Specialist, Society of Decorating Professionals