Decorating & Furniture/rubber wood furniture

I am looking for a shelf to put in my large shower.  I came across just what I am looking for made of rubber wood.  Is that suitable for a shower environment?  Is it similar to teak?  Thanks!

Hi Tammy,

Thanks for choosing me to answer your decor question.  Rubber wood is similar to teak, but does not hold up to moisture as well as teak.  It's a sturdy substitute, but you will need to seal it (with a clear coat polyeurthane) from time to time.  

If you dry it after a shower, it should last a good long time.  

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology