Decorating & Furniture/How can I separate a living/dining room combo?

Question
Hi Kim,
My fiance and I just bought our first home...it is a 3 story townhome.  We have two main concerns: 1) The living room and dining room are one long room on the main floor.  2) The community requests that all window treatments have a beige color exposed to the outside and there are horrible vertical blinds hanging in EVERY room.

So...we were wondering if there is a way to make a distinction between the living room and dining room...perhaps with some type of crown molding to make a frame between the rooms?  Or is it best to just use one color paint and not to bother.  We thought about a chair rail, but it really doesn't suit our style...we like straight lines and sleek looks...chair rails seem to be "country decor" appearing.

As far as window treatments...we hate the vertical blinds and aren't really into valences, sheers, etc.  We saw some vertical, thermal panel tracks at JC Penney that we kind of liked, but what do we put along the top to conceal the track?  

We would appreciate ANY help you can give. Thank you so much for your help.
:-) Beth

Answer
Hi Beth,
What style windows do you have? What would you think of white wooden, or wood look blinds? You can use them alone (as they come with a wood valance) or with a separate window treatment.  If you have a slider, I would recommend long lined drapery panels that you could pull together for privacy.  They are more on trend than any of the other options.
As far as separating the room, if you felt like you really need to do something, you could use a divider or screen.  Depending on your style, Target makes this really cool bookcase/divider that you could use.  I honestly don't think you need to do anything more than maybe add an area rug to each area to define the space.  Room arrangement
will be key.  Painting the area all the same color would make the room look bigger and you could use different window treatments for each area as another way to define the space.  I hope that helps, let me know if you have any additional questions.  Good Luck!

Kim Boyer

Decorating & Furniture

Kim Boyer