Decorating & Furniture/tall wall decorating help!

I just moved into a new home and have a great room with 2 story ceilings.  There is a corner stone fireplace that goes all the way to the ceiling in one corner and there is a large(56" wide) tv mounted on the back wall of the room.  This wall is 15' long from the edge of the fireplace to the other wall. The perpendicular wall on the right as you face the tv is all windows and the opposite wall facing the windows is bare and is 2 stories tall and 10 feet long.  The tv is 71" from the floor so there is alot of wall above the tv and I have no idea what to do with it.  I'm afraid anything too busy or large will distract from the tv, but anything too small will look funny too.  The stone fireplace has a large mantel and is a focal point of the room also, so I don't want to take away from that either.  Then there is the 10" wall too!  In other words, I really need advice on how to make this room look nice, but not too busy.  I really like wrought iron and Mediterranean decor, so I thought about some wrought iron pieces on the wall.  Any ideas would be wonderfully welcome.

Thanks so much,

ANSWER: Hi Staci,
Any chance you could e-mail me a photo?  I'm not quite getting it and I want to be sure.  I'm thinking the TV and the fireplace need to be closer together so that you don't have competing focal points.  But I'd like to see the room as a whole if possible.  Thanks.

Kim Boyer

Picture 2
Picture 2  
QUESTION: Here is another picture of our great room.

Thanks for the help.

Hi Staci,
I was just looking at your photo again.  I think if you add some artwork over the fireplace, it will add more focus to the fireplace allowing the TV area to be downplayed. Again, I like the idea of adding decorative mouldings to that wall or the wrought iron pieces on either side with a console anchoring it.  Let me know how you make out!

Kim Boyer

Decorating & Furniture

Kim Boyer

I am a Certified Interior Designer, Redesign and Home Staging Professional as well as a Certified Color expert. Therefore I am can assist with questions regarding space planning and furniture arrangement, color selection, art and accessory placement. I am also able to answer questions regarding the selection and sourcing of furniture and flooring materials as well as custom window treatments.

I started in the industry as a design consultant in the custom window treatment and home furnishings industry. I have gone on to establish my own full service interior decorating business, Kimberly Boyer Interiors, with specialities in redesign, home staging and color consultations. I was also a featured designer on MyHome2.0 a Verizon Fios sponsered Home Technology Makeover Show.

Affiliate Member Interior Design Society The SDP, ODDAA, ABWA, Interior Redesign Directory

Publications website Ask the Interior Designer

Certified Interior Designer Temple University. Certified Redesign and Staging Professional, Society of Decorating Professionals Certified Color Specialist, Society of Decorating Professionals