Decorating & Furniture/vanity and wall mirror

I am currently having my guest bath remodeled.  My questions are:
1.  how far above the sink/vanity should your mirror be hung?  The mirror that I have has a medicine cabinet beside it that is attached to the mirror, so I have to have enough space to open it- the mirror/cabinet dimensions are 35.43" W x 37.4"H.  
2.I also have two sconces that will need to be placed on either side of the mirror cabinet.  Each sconce is 3.5Wx4 1/4Dx 29H. How far from the mirror/cabinet should each be placed?

Hi Christa,

Thanks for your questions.  The sink/vanity will be about 36-37" in height.  Allow at least 2-3 inches above it for the mirror/cabinet.  The sconces should be approximately 3-4" from the edge of the cabinet (unless this hinders the opening of the mirror, then 5-6" on either side).  Center the sconces (vertically) with the mirror/cabinet.

Center the vanity and mirror/medicine cabinet first, then hang the sconces.  

If you are having this professionally installed, you won't have to worry about the details.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology